Southern Arizona Roadrunners
The Southern Arizona Roadrunners is a not-for-profit organization dedicated to promoting health and fitness in Tucson and Southern Arizona through running and walking.
Our vision is to strengthen and support the running and walking community in Southern Arizona through high-quality, affordable, and family-friendly events and programming that empower people of all backgrounds, abilities, and ages to pursue a healthier lifestyle. We promote community engagement by celebrating the joy of athletic achievement, individual and group participation, philanthropy, and volunteer service.
The forerunner of our present club was formed in 1972, and was called the Southwest Truckers. It consisted of a group of six cross country runners at Sahuaro High School. The group was led by then city cross country champ, Gary Cary.
Eventually the boys graduated from high school and went separate ways, but Joe Cary, Gary’s father, kept the club going. Joe enlisted a lot of older men, and the club became more organized.
On November 20, 1976, Ten members of the Truckers met after the TWA Turkey Trot in Randolph Park and voted to change the name of the club from Southwest Truckers to Southern Arizona Roadrunners. The first officers were elected. They were Joe Cary, president; Paul Yeatts, vice president; Jack DeWeese, treasurer; Steve Oliver, secretary; Ken Young, historian; Kai Haber, publicity chairman; Chuck Kerr, newsletter; and Mark Kelleher, RRCA state coordinator. Membership lists show 72 members at the time of the November, 1976, meeting, and 421 members by November, 1978.
In 1980, the club incorporated as a non-profit organization. The first president of the corporation was Larry Schloss.
Today, the club is still a non-profit organization boasting over 1000 members, putting on a number of road and cross-country races each year.
More information on the early days of the club as well as a list of past presidents is available.